This project by Tenix (now Downer) achieved an 'Excellent' Design v1.0 IS Rating.
The upgrade of two treatment plants at Proserpine and Cannonvale are to serve growing communities and meet the most stringent effluent discharge requirements to protect the Great Barrier Reef. They will also provide benefits to the local community by reducing sewage overflows, and improving noise and odour.
The (IS) rating process encouraged Tenix to identify and implement best-practice and innovative sustainability solutions. Receiving Australia’s first IS Rating has endorsed Tenix’s ability to deliver long-term environmental, social and economic benefit for local communities – in this case, local Whitsunday residents, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and the 74 Whitsunday Islands that fringe the coastline.
Ross Taylor, Chief Executive Officer - Tenix
- Rating Type Water
- Registered Date March 2012
- Certified Date May 2013
- Practical Completion May 2014
- State QLD
- Suburb Whitsundays
- Capital Value $45 Million
- Annual Operating Cost: $10 Million
- Other Key Stakeholders Whitsunday Regional Council
Good management systems integrating the IS rating tool into practices
Knowledge sharing clearly demonstrated.
Procurement and Purchasing
• Strong commitment to and application of sustainable procurement including local procurement:
50% of total spend in the Whitsunday region
30% of total spend in greater Queensland
Climate Change Adaptation
• Did a thorough, formal climate change risk assessment and implemented controls to reduce 22 ‘high’ or ‘very high’ risks to a ‘moderate’ or ‘low’ rating.
Energy and Carbon
• 305 MWh electricity saved over operational life – thus a 14% reduction equating to $75,000 saving/year
• 14,000 tCO2-e avoided over lifecycle
• Use of B20 Biodiesel avoiding 272 tCO2-e (cost neutral)
• 15% reduction in water use over lifecycle, with associated cost benefit
• Reduced the materials footprint by 25%:
Used 4,329 tonnes less concrete
Used 298 tonnes less steel
Used eco-cement with 30% fly ash
Eliminated asphalt from the design
• Ecological value enhanced through >5,000 m2 of regenerated native habitat and 1000 m2 of wetland.
• World’s-first trial of Parallel Nitrification & De-Nitrification (PND):
Significantly improves nitrogen removal
Less construction materials
More energy efficient