This project by City Rail Link achieved a 'Leading' As Built v1.1 IS Rating.
Auckland’s City Rail Link (CRL) project was awarded a “Leading” Infrastructure Sustainability (IS) Design rating by ISCA, the highest possible achievement in the IS scheme and the emphasis on cultural value was among the reasons given. CRL has been recognised for a “world first” - embedding cultural values into its sustainability approach.
The rating is for the design of Contract 1 – the work through and under Britomart Station and Lower Queen Street to the former Downtown Shopping Centre site. A Downer/Soletanche Bachy joint venture is the delivery partner for this contract. The designers are Aurecon, Mott MacDonald, Grimshaw, Jasmax and Arup.
In awarding the Contract 1 IS Design rating, ISCA considered project performance across six themes: Management & Governance; Using Resources; Emissions, Pollution & Waste; Ecology; People & Place; and Innovation
ISCA noted several highlights for Contract 1:
- The CRL’s initiative to collaborate with Mana Whenua to embed Māori cultural values across the IS framework: a first globally
- Water-efficient fittings specified for the refurbished Britomart station are projected to reduce water usage over the life of the asset by more than 50%, with associated reductions in utility bills
- A projected reduction in life cycle energy-related Greenhouse Gas emissions by over 25% through efficient construction techniques, including replacing diesel generators with grid electricity, and specifying energy efficient equipment for the refurbished station
- Reducing waste by recycling items such as the uPVC piping from the station plaza water feature, and carefully removing the bluestone feature wall tiles for reinstatement once the tunnels are completed
- Detailed attention to the protection and enhancement of the Category 1 heritage-listed station building.
CRL Project Director Chris Meale says the project is committed to setting the benchmark for sustainable design, construction and operation of infrastructure in New Zealand and the latest recognition shows it is on the right track to achieving the sustainability goals.
CRL construction is well underway and reporting to date shows the project is on track to deliver.
- Rating Type Rail
- Rating Score 80.7
- Registered Date September 2016
- Certified Date March 2017
- State NZ
- Suburb Auckland
- Assessor Liz Root
- Capital Value $350 Million
- Other Key Stakeholders Aurecon, Mott MacDonald, Grimshaw, Jasmax and Arup.
- Innovation The process CRL has undertaken to engage and partner with Mana Whenua to embed cultural values into an industry recognised sustainability framework has been acknowledged as a ‘world first’ innovation.