This project by Transport for NSW has registered for a Design v1.0 IS Rating.
The $8.3 billion Sydney Metro Northwest is Australia’s biggest public transport project and a priority infrastructure investment for the NSW Government. It is the first stage of Sydney Rapid Transit, the city’s new rapid transit railway network.
The Sydney Metro Northwest will deliver eight new railway stations, 4,000 commuter car parking spaces and five existing stations upgraded to rapid transit standards. When the Sydney Metro Northwest opens in the first half of 2019, there will be a train every four minutes in the peak – that’s 15 trains an hour. As Australia’s first fully automated railway, customers won’t need a timetable – they’ll just turn up and go.
As Australia’s first fully automated railway, customers won’t need a timetable – they’ll just turn up and go.
About Operations, Trains and Systems The $3.7 billion operations contract was awarded in September 2014 to the Northwest Rapid Transit consortium and is the biggest Public Private Partnership ever awarded in NSW. The consortium is made up of:
- MTR Corporation – world class rapid transit operator;
- John Holland and Leighton Contractors – major contractors in Australia and overseas with extensive delivery experience
- UGL Rail Services – leading provider and maintainer of rail infrastructure and systems
- Plenary Group – financial services sponsor and investor in PPPs.
Northwest Rapid Transit will:
- Build eight new railway stations
- Deliver 4,000 commuter car parking spaces
- Supply Sydney’s new generation, fully-automated rapid transit trains
- Install tracks, signalling, mechanical and electrical systems
- Build and operate the stabling and maintenance facility at Tallawong Road
- Upgrade and convert the railway between Epping to Chatswood to rapid transit status
- Operate the North West Rail Link – including all maintenance work
This project is one of four packages of the Northwest Metro Program.
- Rating Type Rail
- Registered Date November 2014
- State NSW
- Suburb Sydney
- Capital Value $2.5 Billion
- Assessor Nick Clarke
- Other Key Stakeholders Northwest Rapid Transit, Hassell, SMEC, Mott Macdonald, WSP, UGL, Leighton Contractors (CPB), John Holland Group, Edge
To find out more about this project, visit the Transport for NSW website.